Afterhours, an AIGA Austin event, is a poster party off the clock. It’s part individual creative expression, part curated poster show, and part nonprofit fundraiser. The goal of Afterhours is to leverage the power of art and design to support and publicize the important work being done by less-known Central Texas non-profits.
This year’s theme is Design for Democracy, and our non-profit partner is Austin Tech Alliance. Our theme invites designers to create nonpartisan posters that explore the past, present and future of democratic participation and civic engagement by examining the history of elections, voting rights, civil rights, media representation and power.
- Opening Party: Friday, November 15, 2019
- East Austin Studio Tour (EAST): November 16 – 17 & 23 – 24, 2019
During the Afterhours opening party, four artists are given a prompt, a 24″x 36″ canvas board, a handful of black markers, and 90 minutes to create a unique piece of art. The audience votes on the canvases and one artist is declared a winner of the Canvas Battle. Each canvas board is raffled off, with all proceeds benefiting our selected non-profit organization for the year.
2019 Afterhours Judges
- Dian Holton — Senior Deputy Art Director at AARP Media and a freelance window display associate for the GAP
- DJ Stout — Pentagram Principal
- Christian Helms — Founder and Creative Director of Helms Workshop
- Lisa Congdon — Illustrator and Author